Tips to avoid making yourself a target this Christmas
- Don’t post on any social media sites telling everyone where you are ‘look at me getting on the plane to New York,’ this just advertises the fact that you are not at home, and won’t be for a while.
- Don’t advertise the fact that you have just purchased a new laptop or television by leaving the empty boxes out in full view of the street prior to the recycling being collected. ‘Hey, look everyone I have just got a new laptop and I’ve left the box out for you to put it in.’
- Using valet parking? Don’t leave your house keys on the same key ring as your car keys. ‘Hi , you have my car with my home address stored in my sat nav and just to make it easy for you here’s my house key to go and get a copy cut.’
- If you are away from home for a number of nights, set your house lights to turn on at random times at night using timers. This might deter the opportunist burglar. Investing in Smart lighting will make this job easier.
- If you have a house alarm make sure it’s working and make sure you use it! If you have informed your insurance company that you have an intruder alarm fitted, you could invalidate your policy if it is not set.
- Have a CCTV system installed? Use it. Make sure you can see the live camera feeds on your phone.
- At the end of the day, it is only stuff, so… DO NOT PUT YOURSELF IN HARMS WAY.
Everyone at JMH Technology wishes you a peaceful and safe Christmas and a very Happy 2020.